As promised, here is an easy DIY detox yoga sequence. The postures are suitable for all levels and you only need to set aside 20-30 minutes. This is a great sequence to do in the morning as it helps to get your body into detox mode for the day.
The purpose of this routine is to stimulate the body's natural detox processes as well as firm up the body, improve circulation and reduce fluid retention. It includes mainly twists and backbends which are both ideal for detoxification.
Warm up by doing some sun salutations. I usually do three rounds of Surya Namaskar A and three rounds of the Surya Namaskar B holding the downward dog for 5 breaths.
Hold each of the following postures for 5 to 10 breaths.
1. Tadasana - Mountain Pose
2. Adho mukha svanasana - Downward dog
3. Eka pada rajakapotasana – One legged pigeon pose (both sides)
4. Parsvakonasana – Extended side angle pose (both sides)
5. Twisted lunge (both sides)
6. High lunge (both sides)
7. Virabadrasana 3 – Warrior 3 (both sides)
8. Paschimottanasana – Seated forward bend
9. Bharadvajasana – Bharadvaja’s twist (both sides)
10. Ustrasana – Camel pose
11. Balasana – Child’s pose
13. Viparita Karani - Legs up the wall pose
12. Savasana – Spend five minutes (or more if you have time) in this relaxing posture. I like to say to myself "let go" with every exhalation for the first minute or so of this posture.
This sequence will boost the detoxification process and really get things moving in your body. It's a great sequence to do everyday if you have the time, and especially while you are doing a cleanse.
Feel free to comment or email me if you have any specific questions. I'm more than happy to help.
Images courtesy of Yoga Journal.