Claire (our lovely new PR Manager and the brains/heart/soul behind the Saha Space and the Wellness Project) shared a super yummy almond milk recipe with us so we thought we'd share it with you...
Almond milk is so easy to make, it’s almost ridiculous to buy it! And, if you buy a big 1kg bag of almonds you can use half to make 2 litres of almond milk and the remaining 500g as a snack – don’t forget to soak + dehydrate your nuts first!
• 1 kg of almonds
• Filtered water
• Himalayan rock salt
• 2- 3 seeded (pre-soaked) dates (optional)
• Muslin cloth, fine sieve or nut milk bag
• Large glass bottle
• In a large pot/bowl pour in your 1kg of almonds, add water and a teaspoon of salt
• Let it sit overnight for at least 8 hours
• In the AM, drain and rinse
• Separate out 500g of your almonds and place on a baking tray in the oven, 60 degrees for 8-10 hours. Use the rest for your almond milk!
• Place 2 cups of almonds and 5-6 cups of filtered water into your blender at a time
• Blend until really smooth
• Pour into your sieve/muslin cloth or bag over a big pot and let it drain. You can get more out by pushing through the sieve with a spoon or squeezing the cloth/bag
• The left over mixture is your own homemade almond meal – keep this in containers in the freezer and use it for cookies, baking, adding to muesli or smoothies
• Once you have drained your almond milk, place it back into the blender and add in the dates. Blend away to mix it all well. The dates are a perfect way to add natural sweetness to the milk. If you want you can add any of the following: vanilla, stevia, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cacao etc
• Pour into a glass bottle and store in the fridge for 4-5 days
Drink in your coffee, tea, smoothies, or on its own! Yum.